Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 11 – September 8th – Monday
Today was my first day of intensive Spanish language. I placed into the Advanced level, which is what I expected to do, so hopefully I will learn a lot. I was kind of surprised that many of the people in my class did not seem to know Spanish nearly as well as me, but for the most part, they are at least minors, so they will be willing to try hard. As is normal for first days, much of the content was over the way class is going to be and also what is expected of us. It was similar to that of a US classroom, though the grade scale is actually a little more forgiving. I still plan on getting A's. We also talked a little about characteristics and I learned a good number of new adjectives. After class, Matthew and I ate our packed lunches of a bacon and cheese baguette and an apple and headed down to the beach, of course. After all, its only a couple blocks away. Then we headed over to the study abroad office, where we get internet for free, and I was finally able to put up some pictures. There were a few of our friends there, so we got to see them too. We don't all go the Pompeu Fabra, some go to the University of Barcelona, so it is a little rare that we see them, unless it is planed. I left with Nicholas and we wandered around this city for a while, aimlessly. You can do that here, without worrying about getting lost because there is always a metro close by. And from the metro, it is possible to get anywhere in the city. For dinner, around 9:30pm, we had a Sra. Teresa original. Chicken a la Teresa which was, in a word, wonderful. She said that if we liked it so much, she would make it once a week and i truly hope she does. After this, Matthew and I went down the street to D'or Cervecería, which has a great selection of over 50 beers. If I'm here long enough, and I think I may be, I may even try them all. After two beers and some patatas brevas, which is fried potatoes with a special sauce that makes my mouth water even now, we headed back home. When coming home, it is custom to say hello to whomever is there, and I happened to mention that I needed to call Marissa, mi novia. Teresa then asked if I had a picture. Of course, I did and readily showed it to her. From here, we got into an in depth conversation about life and love and even the afterlife and the existence of extraterrestrials and other worlds. It was easily the deepest conversation I've ever had in Spanish, and very interesting to me. They both had quite a bit so say and I'm glad that my mastery of the language has reached a level where I am able to understand almost every word. I am only sad that I could not add more to the content myself. Hopefully, by the time I leave, I will be able to do so. Matthew and I know that we are lucky to have been placed in such a good host family, and tonight further confirmed that. Well, it is of to bed for me, as I have to get up and do my homework tomorrow before class. Also, my friend Ian, who is studying in Zurich, Switzerland, is coming to visit tomorrow for the long weekend here in Catalunya. (Catalunya is the province in which is Barcelona and this Thursday is their holiday, so no class then or Friday). Fernando has promised to take us to the Barcelona soccer stadium for a tour of the museum and the field. Maybe Ian and I will also be able to catch a game this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bryan.

Thanks for the regular updates. I'm glad that you're not having much of a language barrier. At this rate you'll come back a native speaker. Give us a call when you get a chance.

Take your time sampling all those beers ;-).

Love,
su padre